Thursday, October 27, 2011

Halloween 2011: Zipper Eye

This is a look I've done 2 other times - the first in 2007 when MAC first released the facechart (which we do not talk about anymore...I painted the zipper on my face...and it was atrocious) and then 2010 (wherein I glued a zipper to muh face!) and then finally, NOW!


Head past the jump for more photos and a list of products I used to create this creepy look!










Products Used (foundation/eyes/lips):
Tarte Clean Slate Primer
NARS Sheer Glow Foundation (Santa Fe)
Fresh Face Lustre (Seventh Veil)
MAC Harmony Blush as contour
Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush (Dollface)
Make Up For Ever AquaEyes #8 (red - lip)
Buxom Lip Polish (Betty)
Too Faced Shadow Insurance
MAC Carbon Eyeshadow
Korres Grey Eyeshadow
MAX False Lashes (from Holland)

Products Used (zipper/blood):
Zipper from Michael's - extra fabric and length cut off
Ardell Demi Wispies Lashes
MAC Flammable Paint
Sleek Sunset Palette (red and black shadows)
Mehron Spirit Gum
Mehron Fake Blood


Basically to achieve the look, you want to make sure you measure your zipper to the appropriate length and width to your eye...trace the inner space with a white liner as a guideline then fill that area with the Flammable paint (go a little outside the lines to get the color under the edge of the zipper as well.

Then I filled over the top of that with the red and black shadows to add some depth to the "wound".  Once all that is done, apply the zipper using spirit gum.  *A Note On Spirit Gum:  I've found over the years that if you're looking to do something more heavy duty like this zipper or more advanced SFX looks, you really want to invest and get theatrical grade spirit gum from suppliers such as Mehron, Ben Nye, Graftobian, Make Up For Ever, or Kryolan...the stuff from the good old Halloween Store that pops up once a year in many towns just won't cut it in my experiences.*  

Once the zipper has fully dried, add effects such as skin ripples, shadowing, and lastly, the fake blood!  (and there's really no limit here to how much you can add...the more the better!)

I like to apply all that before I do foundation so that the zipper and glue can adhere to my skin.  No fears, I also have spirit gum remover which makes taking it off painless!  Follow the instructions included with your choice of adhesive/remover.  Then I go at my foundation/eyes/lips and I'm done!

No comments:

Post a Comment