Sunday, January 29, 2012

First Impressions: Maybelline Dream Nude Airfoam Foundation

I'll avoid the long, drawn out introduction to this blog post - instead I'll direct you to the previous post for that.

Onto the impressions!

Maybelline Dream Nude Airfoam
(shown in shade 240 - Natural Beige)

Head past the jump for my thoughts :)




This has to be the first time I've seen a print ad in a magazine that has made me so curious to actually go out and purchase the product the next day.  (The February issue of Allure is where I saw it...I'm almost 100% positive it's running that ad in most of the major fashion/beauty/health mags right now...)

After mulling over it, I think the foundation is alright.  Not a replacement for my NARS Sheer Glow, but I guess I had some pretty high expectations - and only basing them off a print ad, that was stupid I admit - but it does give decent coverage and it feels nice on the skin.  Gives me a slightly dewey finish that can be muted down to a semi-matte with the addition of powder.  It bears mentioning that as with all foundations (but especially drugstore ones) the addition of a primer will greatly increase the wear time of said foundation.

It's touted to be a nude foundation - meaning that you can neither see nor feel it on the skin - so super lightweight but still giving you coverage at the same time.  I found this to mostly be the case.

Coming out of the pump it is quite light and airy feeling.  The can says to spray a walnut sized amount to cover your whole face.   I say pay attention and remember this foundation acts just like mousse...you want the foam size to be walnut sized.  Once the foam starts to "deflate" as you use it, the true texture of the foundation comes out and I was a little surprised to find that it's thicker than you'd expect it to be which leads me into the fact that it's not quite the "nude" coverage I was expecting.  HOWEVER, as I prefer more coverage to my foundation, I actually wouldn't mind if that were the case.  Surprisingly, it felt amazingly light on the skin (considering the texture being slightly thick) and yet it still manages to look like skin despite the coverage.  Overall, impressed.

I thought that the line had a decent selection of color choices (I find this to be generally true of Maybelline foundations...and L'Oreal as well, incidently)...again with my issues of drugstores in America not having testers, I got a shade slightly darker than I anticipated (which, yes, I can work with...but it's still frustrating nonetheless)...I'd say this shade is about a MAC NW30ish (maybe 35) and I'm an NC/NW20/25 for reference (I can wear either shades if I've not mentioned that before).


If you want to see it in action (and hear my initial thoughts partway through), I used it in my latest YouTube video!





Product:  Maybelline Dream Nude Airfoam Foundation
Availability:  Drugstores
Price:  $10.49 USD 
(prices will vary depending on where you live and where it's purchased)




*UPDATE: 2/19/12 -- I have since repurchased a lighter shade of this foundation because I wanted to give it a real test and being that the shade I have is a tad too deep for going out and about in the middle of a Maine winter...I just thought it would be a good idea.  That...and I had a $2 off coupon ;)  So I gave it a true test of a 17 hour workday.  I found it went patchy (almost like it was separating on my skin) after about 9 hours.  Not a problem for me really because I just kept re-blending it into my skin for the rest of the night - I mean, most people wouldn't want to do that but my 2nd job is at the supermarket, so I didn't feel like it mattered that much! Haha!)*

No comments:

Post a Comment