Saturday, January 28, 2012

First Impressions: Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse Foundation

So I did it.  I broke down and bought foundations from the drugstore.

[personal disclaimer]:

Now...before you start calling me out on the fact that I only use high end foundations...I'd like to justify my decisions on not getting drugstore ones to the fact that I already have around 8 foundations I've recieved from my day job that I rotate on any given day (although, three I purchased on my own [Clinique Even Better, Josie Maran, NARS Sheer Glow] and three of which only get rotated in the summer because they're tinted moisturizers [one of which I purchased myself...FusionBeautys...] and not heavy enough for my already super dry skin in Maine wintertime).  So do I really NEED another foundation?  No.

HOWEVER.

I'm also finding as I rotate my usual favorites that I'm dangerously low on a couple...and that my dear readers, is because of YouTube videos :)

Now again, don't get me wrong.  I love making my videos and sharing them...I actually get very bummed out when I don't have time to film a video for the upcoming week or two...but I can't justify replacing my very favorite foundation until summer (and honestly it's only because it costs $42...of which I don't have extra of in winter...NARS Sheer Glow in case you're wondering).  But this blog post isn't about that foundation.  It's about my first impressions of:

Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse
(shown in shade Light 3.5 - Nude Beige)

Head past the jump for my first impressions of the foundation and a photo of it on my skin!



Here's my issue with American drugstores.  
THERE ARE NO TESTERS.

I realize that testers can be costly.  I've worked in retail.  People think they're entitled and steal them all the time...but I still wish that we could at LEAST have testers for the foundations on the shelves.  It would make things so much easier.

Now I realize that as a makeup artist, I'm working around foundation colors all day, but I will be the first to admit that even I don't have the eye to exactly match myself without some kind of a reference (and by the way...the little shade guide they give you at the drugstore?  It's complete crap.  I don't know many people whose face matches the inside of their wrist...just saying....the best places to match [in my opinion] are on your jawline or your neck - or preferably your chest since you want everything to blend as one...)  However, you can't do that in the drugstore and the jars are misleading and the swatches are about as good as the ones on MAC's website ;)  (inside joke?)

So my shade (Nude Beige, Light 3.5) is just a hair too dark for me - but not so dark that I can't wear it...it makes me look like I've been at the beach for the day and gotten some sun...nothing that will leave the dreaded foundation line on my jaw.

The foundation blends like a dream!  I haven't used a drugstore foundation since I was in high school and back then the popular one was Cover Girl and it was thick and cakey looking...SO not my cup of tea (also a little personal history for you...unless I was in a show, I did not start wearing makeup regularly until 2006!  I was anti-makeup...especially if it meant more sleep!)  So basically, I didn't have high hopes for this foundation because of my hang ups in the past with drugstore makeup.

I have to say that I'm glad I was wrong!  I also had done a little bit of digging on the reviews for this foundation (mainly on makeup alley) and I found that most people say it doesn't last on their skin (a lot of the ones I read said they got a couple hours of wear out of it).  I'm a huge advocator for prepping the skin properly and I'm willing to bet by looking at the ages of the reviewers that most don't use primer (most high schoolers probably can't afford primers or have to be more choosey on what/how much they're spending their money on...my advice is, save up and get one!) and I guess that at least half of those who don't are probably oilier skinned.

Now...Oilier skins need primers to block the oils from a) mixing with their foundations and oxidizing them (turning them darker) and b) making the foundation slip around on the skin, thereby making it longer lasting.  That's not to say drier skins don't need primers too, but sometimes even I skip primer!

Armed with the knowledge of it not lasting on people's skin...I prepped myself properly with primer this morning (NARS SPF Primer if that matters - which I don't think it does) and smoothed the foundation on top using a Real Techniques By Samantha Chapman Buffing Brush (for the record, the foundation applies beautifully with fingertips too!)  and then I set the foundation with a light dusting of  L'Oreal TrueMatch powder.
Foundation freshly applied with a dusting of powder and some blush/bronzer

I loved the application of the foundation, and even more so I love the finish it gives my skin!  It's glowy and dewey without being sparkly (something I find in a lot of dewey finishes).  My favorite way of describing it is that it looks like you've just gotten out of the shower and blotted your face with a towel so that there's still some moisture left on the skin...EVERYONE'S skin looks good after getting out of the shower (don't believe me?  take a look in the mirror next time!)

[insert working for 9 hours here]

So from initial application to removal I've had the foundation on for approximately 12 hours with little to no difference in wear time from my NARS Sheer Glow or my Josie Maran Argan Matchmaker foundations (both of which are very similar in finish which is why I am mentioning them!)  I had no issues with it moving around or looking like it had worn off, and the finish was just as good before I washed it off as it had been this morning.  I found that I was slightly shinier on my T-zone (forehead/nose) than I normally am, but that can be overlooked in my case as I am so dry that it looked natural on me.

All things considered, I think it's a great foundation and if you prep your skin properly you shouldn't have any issues with it lasting.  I'm looking forward to testing it out a little more :)


Product:  Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse Foundation
Availability:  Drugstores
Price:  $9.79 USD 
(prices will vary depending on where you live and where it's purchased)

No comments:

Post a Comment