Sunday, April 1, 2012

Skincare: Oily & Acneic Skin? Troublesome, But Not Terrible!

Today's guest post is a guest post coming from Adrian (aka my younger sister!  who can be found at: lightmeuplikethesun.blogpost.com)


I can speak at lengths about dry skin, and fairly knowledgeably about other skin types, but I thought that it would be nice to have the perspective of people who actually have other skin types.  So I asked her to guest post about her more oilier, hormonal acne type skin.  Enjoy and if you've got the same type of skin, let us know what works for you!!


(Quick Facts:  Adrian is a 22 year old, double music major currently in college)

----

Naked Face!


For as long as I can remember, I've had issues with having oily/acneic skin. I never really "knew" what my skin type was until May of 2010 when Ashleigh and I took a trip to New York City and stopped by the Mario Badescu salon. I got a personalized skin care routine based on the fact that I have combination/oily skin. The acneic factor is primarily hormonal, so my acne is based predominately around "that time." - Let's talk about inconvenient. I feel like crap, and then on top of that, my skin looks like crap!!

So I seem to have hit the jack pot with "crappy" skin. I have to constantly have blotting papers on my person, or I have to matte down my skin with primers. I also only wear matte finished foundations.

My saving grace? Dermadoctor Wrinkle Revenge Facial Cleanser. It's 10% Glycolic Acid is enough of a chemical exfoliation to deep clean my skin, yet it's not harsh enough to destroy my sensitive skin. Oh… I forgot to mention that bit? Yeah. I have extremely sensitive skin… more negative points for my skin! /sarcasm.

I have become so incredibly picky about what I use for my skin care routine, that once I find something I tend to cling to it (which I know I won't be able to do forever, since your skin typically changes multiple times throughout your life); however, as of right now, I look for products that have roughly around 10% glycolic or salicylic acid in it. If I want more exfoliation on certain days, I have an Olay Professionals spin brush that I use for less than 30 seconds over my entire face. For moisturizer, I specifically look for mattifying moisturizers that are oil-free, and for eye cream, I prefer to have a firming eye cream, because even though I'm young (I'm 22 years old), I firmly [hah] believe in taking good care of your skin as early as possible!

SO: Here's what I [personally] use to keep my oily/acneic skin at bay as much as I possibly can:

* Prescribed birth control: This has been prescribed to help keep as much of the acne at bay as possible, before my natural body chemistry takes over.

* Dermadoctor Wrinkle Revenge Facial Cleanser: I started only using it in the morning, and slowly worked myself to using it morning and night. With things such as this, and with sensitive skin, I find that you really don't want to go overboard at first.

Side note: For days that I want a gentle cleanser, I use Cetaphil original. There's nothing in it, which is great sometimes.

* Dr. Brandt Pores No More Anti-Aging Mattifying Lotion: This mattifying moisturizer is wonderful! It's hydrating enough to keep my skin looking as great as it can, but also hinders oil production to an extent.

* DDF Advanced Eye Firming Concentrate: This eye cream is fantastic! It's thick, but light, and even in the short time that I have used it, I have noticed a significant difference in the texture of my skin around my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment